Our Social Emotional after-school programs are designed as a fun educational experiences where students learn to improve their social skills in guided activities that encourage them to engage with each other and adults in positive and proactive ways. We combine the guided Social Emotional Learning (SEL) practice with hands-on STEM activities. (STEM stands for Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math.)
- Personal friendships are built on shared interests, feelings, and experiences. Children learn each other’s communication style, begin to stick up for each other, answer each other’s questions honestly, and enjoy spending time together.
- Communication skills give children an avenue to express themselves and their ideas while learning from others in the same way.
- Assertiveness: Children benefit learning the importance of assertiveness early. Assertive behavior improves learning potential because assertive students are more likely to ask questions, take responsibility for their choices and decisions, and gain leadership experience.
- Self-advocacy is when children stick up for themselves to tell others their needs and wants or ask for help when they don’t understand.
- Personal Responsibility means understanding your role as a teammate and friend. It is accepting the responsibility for one’s own words and actions. It is also important to hold oneself accountable for mistakes, errors, or short-comings when they arise.
- Leadership: when a person develops a strong sense of personal responsibility, it is natural for leadership traits to develop as well. Children who develop the confidence of a leader will benefit throughout their lifetime.
- Team Learning: Learning as part of a team allows children to fit in more comfortably with their family, friends, and communities. The ability to be a strong collaborative partner or teammate opens doors by teaching kids how to apply their specific skills to the help others in a group effort.
Arts and Music
Our Art Program focuses on teaching children to create and appreciate art. Our art program offers a time for children to express their individuality, dreams and ideas. Art is a fun and enjoyable way to engage children of many different learning abilities.
We have discovered that children’s academics improve when arts are included as an integral part of their education. Children develop the individual skills to create, self-evaluate, and finalize their art creation. We teach children how to achieve project goals, and utilize their time and materials well.
- ART helps children think globally and grasp abstract concepts.
- Learn many intangible life skills through the arts and art appreciation.
- Increased awareness of different cultures and world views.
- Find more success in academic achievement.
- Create a well-rounded life.
Music is fun and engaging; and, most importantly, a confidence boost.
Surveys show that kids who take part in after-school music sessions, for a couple of hours a week, end up becoming better team players. After-school music programs build confidence and nurture teamwork in children.
Gardening provides opportunities to enhance children’s education through practical, reality-based learning.
- Gardening is part science and part art.
- Helps children get excited about fruits and vegetables.
- Promotes physical activity.
- It’s FUN!
Science Exploratorium provides opportunities for a hands-on experience with science.
Students are challenged by different science problems that they must tackle as a group.
Experiments and activities come from different scientific fields.
Teaches children to think critically, question, and solve problems.
Explore the natural world.
Work together to learn
Finding the answers helps students build confidence and opens up a world of possibilities.
BEAS ACADEMY parent workshops are designed as added value for the parents of our students as a way to encourage parent engagement in the educational process. We strongly believe that kids advance faster academically when they are involved with their parents lives and when parents take strong interest in their children’s education. We also understand, however, that modern life pulls parents in many directions and compromises the time they have to teach life lessons. Our parent/education workshops are meant to help parents get maximum results in their limited time. Every workshop is presented in an approachable manner that includes demonstrations that share strategies and effective tools to make more everyday moments into educational moments.
“Tell me and I forget, teach me and I remember, involve me and I learn.” – Benjamin Franklin